Friday, September 7, 2007

St. Ephrem the Syrian

I am working on a book about the Doctors of the Church. While writing the section on St. Ephrem, known as “The Prophet of the Syrians,” “Mary’s Own Singer,” and the “Harp of the Holy Ghost,” I came upon this passage of his from a Christmas message:

To Eve, our mother, a man gave birth, who himself had had no birth. How much more should Eve’s daughter [Mary] be believed to have borne a Child without a man! The virgin earth bore that Adam that was head over the earth. The Virgin bore today the Adam that was Head over the heavens. The staff of Aaron budded, and the dry wood yielded fruit.

How beautiful! He also wrote a hymn with this line:

The babe that I carry carries me, saith Mary, and He has lowered His wings, and taken, and placed me between His pinions, and mounted into the air; and a promise has been given me that height and depth shall be my Son’s..