Sunday, April 20, 2008

About receiving Holy Eucharist controversy

Known "pro abortion" Catholics have been observed receiving holy communion at Mass. This has understandably caused publicity and discussion. Discussion that is directed toward better understanding is good and fruitful. Discussion that is "holier than thou art" and hypocritical is not helpful. Here is what I mean.

When I was a young child in the 1950's and early 1960's, I attended weekly Sunday Mass in my small town. Any given Sunday a good third or half of the Mass attendees did not approach the altar for communion! And this was not because they were politicians or great sinners. Until recently this was how a good Catholic discerned the day to day status of their spiritual life.

Catholics are supposed to go on a regular basis to Confession. They timed it so that they would go usually every few months. In the time just before their next Confession, good Catholics tended NOT to approach for communion, usually because they had something on their mind that they wished to bring up in Confession. No one thought anything about those who received on a given day and those who did not. The most pious of parishioners were as likely to have days of not receiving as anyone else.

Fast forward to these times. I have been astonished to see virtually the entire congregation of Masses march up to the altar to receive. And THIS is a generation that does not go to Confession as frequently as my peers did when I was young! You have less confession, graver sins and almost 100% receiving of the Holy Eucharist! Oh my God, I'd laugh if it was not so serious.

So those of you who drag the spiritual status of public figures into the spotlight may be better off pausing and contemplating this difference in the times I have discussed. Leave this topic to the bishops who must decide how best to serve individuals in their diocese and jurisdictions.