Sunday, April 20, 2008

Book review: "Indelible Ink" Larsen editor

A local store here in Mississippi, "The Treasure Hunt," has received a large selection of remainder books, and I've done some great shopping, mostly of cooking and gardening books. I did also find "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" by His Holiness John Paul II, which was also a great find, and some good literature. After a quick glance I also bought "Indelible Ink: 22 Prominent Christian Leaders Discuss the Books That Shape Their Faith," general editor Scott Larsen, 2003, WaterBrook Press. I enjoy reading about people's favorite books, and I noticed two entries that caused me to buy this book. One is that Charles Colson is one of the 22 contributors, and the other is that one of my favorite classic books, "The Counte of Monte Cristo," is selected by another of the contributors. When I got the book home I found that in addition to the 22 main contributors, another 130 contributors included brief indications of their favorite books. Most of these people I never heard of at all.

So the book has the feedback of 152 "Christian Leaders." And that is when I felt the thud of disappointment, hurt, and no small amount of being offended. No Catholics.

Most of these "Christian Leaders" seem to be leaders because they author and sell books, and they have personal ministries. I could not find a single Catholic contributor. I'm wondering when it comes to Christianity, people start acting like genuine Christians.

So the book goes on my "unread" shelf because I just can't get over the disappointment of how this is a propaganda piece, rather than a spiritually uplifting work of Christian communion and thought. At least I enjoyed the contributor who discussed "The Count of Monte Cristo."

Pray that self proclaimed "Christian Leaders" receive some genuine Christian charity and enlightenment from God.