Thursday, April 10, 2008

Lord of the Rings character identification

I'm part of the many long time fans of the Lord of the Rings, and in the 1980's and 1990's I read it several dozen times, and enjoyed supplemental books, such as Tolkien's Letters.

Geeks like to relate to specific characters, and folks have jumped to conclusions about what character I would relate to. From the beginning I've related to the character Celebrian, wife of Elrond. She does not appear in the books (and obviously not the movie) because before the opening of the action in the trilogy she had been captured and tortured by Orcs. Her sons rescued her, but having received a poisoned wound and the trauma of the torment, she could not recover sufficiently to enjoy life in Middle Earth again. Therefore, losing her joy in life from the damage of the torment she passed to the Grey Havens and left Middle Earth.

When I wrote my own trilogy (unpublished and meant for just an imaginary journal exercise, not a theological revelation or minefield, but I found it was passed around and abused in cultist circles), I had a character in that book that was similar to Celebrian, again a minor character as she had taken herself out of the action due to being damaged before the action chronicled in the trilogy began. She lived underground in mourning, but was instrumental in a key intervention that helped the protagonist of the book and rescued the young heir and his family. But as with LOTR, in my own fiction book I did not relate with any of the protagonists except to leverage situational similarities. So people who abused my private book by assigning to myself or them selves identification with any characters in the book have performed monumental error and injustice.