Monday, May 19, 2008

About Michelle Obama

It is safe to say that Michelle Obama and I do not share the same part of the political spectrum. However, I need to vigorously speak out in her defense.

I cannot believe how people have seized on her one remark about being "for once" proud of her country. It's an expression, dummies. "For once" is a way of speaking in a form of emphasis that is common among her age cohort. I've used that expression myself. It does not mean literally and the only time. It is similar to saying "at long last" or "I could care less" (when the person actually means "I could not care less.") It is a way of placing particular emphasis on the point that one is trying to make. It is slangish way of saying, "I am especially proud of my country in a way that I have wished for over a long period of time."

It's ridiculous and juvenile to make that phrase either a campaign issue or a character issue. As I said, her politics have a different viewpoint than mine, so one can fairly question, for example, "Why do you think that 'whatever event you are talking about' is the first time someone has shown 'whatever behavior you are talking about' in order to make you especially proud and gratified?" She would then probably explain that signing up lots of voters was what she was really excited about. Then her youth and possible gaps in history would be fair to examine in case she has missed other previous historic voting drives. But to attack her for being particularly proud of what she thinks is a good citizen and public service event is really wrongheaded, unfair and a waste of time as to getting to the real issues.

Now, just for some humor, consider the lyrics of this classic song performed by Stevie Wonder:

"For Once In My Life"

For once in my life I have someone who needs me
Someone I've needed so long
For once, unafraid, I can go where life leads me
And somehow I know I'll be strong
For once I can touch what my heart used to dream of
Long before I knew
Someone warm like you
Would make my dreams come true
For once in my life I won't let sorrow hurt me
Not like it's hurt me before
For once, I have something I know won't desert me
I'm not alone anymore
For once, I can say, this is mine, you can't take it
As long as I know I have love, I can make it
For once in my life, I have someone who needs me

*** Gosh, this singer is singing "for once in my life." Does that mean that literally his loved one is the only one who has ever provided this love and support?! So he's disrespecting his parents, grandparents and siblings?! Obviously the singer is not being literal that no one has ever never ever ever ever been warm, supportive, needed him, kept him from being alone, etc. Good grief.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/steviewonder/foronceinmylife.html