Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My deepest sympathy to Ted Kennedy and family

Like his family, friends and colleagues, I am deeply distressed at the news that Ted Kennedy's seizure has been caused by a malignant brain tumor. I offer prayer that his medical treatment will give him the best chances and that he and his family will find comfort and support throughout.

Being of an age in years where I've grown up with the Kennedy family in politics, I share a long history with Ted Kennedy and remember him well through all the forty plus years of his service. I've admired two things about him. One is his deep and honest commitment to civil rights. Of all his liberal tendencies his finest calling has been in his dedication to civil rights and equality for all. His contribution should never be underestimated.

The second thing that I admire about him is how he has been a rock for his extended family, through both the joyous times and the terrible times. Some years ago I was reminded of his continuing role in this regard when he was strong and eloquent when Jackie Kennedy Onassis died. A father who has had to be an extended father, an uncle to many people, both literally in his family and extended beyond, these are some of his finest traits.

One of my wishes for a very long time has been that with age and a changed view that Ted Kennedy (and others such as John Kerry) would, however, have a personal conversion and change in heart regarding the issues of the family and the culture of death in this country. I am a patient and understanding soul. I know and have often had to explain to people that it takes a long time for some people who are kind and liberal in many areas to understand that abortion and attacks upon the traditional family and against a pro life culture are the cruelest cuts of all. Sometimes it takes many years to understand that, since that is the challenge of morality, the gaining of virtue, and wisdom. For example, civil rights are fine but what does it mean if a people abort away a generation of children who should have been born into equality and freedom? I continue to hope that Ted Kennedy, while he navigates this illness, will contemplate these things and still come to a fuller understanding of God's greater plan. I was not joking when I commented with a humorous twinkle in a Catholic blog that I'd like to be John Kerry's spiritual director (and of course, all these other politicians who have lost their way in the moral compass of being pro life). I hope that Ted Kennedy and others take my good wishes and my hopes for their greater insight sincerely to heart.

Meanwhile, accept my prayers and best wishes.