Friday, May 30, 2008

A nice memorial to a local TV weather pioneer

TV weatherman Bobby Nelson of Wisconsin has passed away at the age of 82. I came across the notice and a really sweet video tribute to him by WBAY, his station:

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=8391095

***
He started broadcasting in 1953. Look at him; now that's the type of guy I remember from the 1950's and 1960's. Open faced and happy, you felt good just listening to this type of man. The video about him is also great because it shows how rudimentary TV was in those days and how yet it seemed so wonderful and full of information and contact. I have to smile too because they make a lot of his short height yet he was the exact same height (and weight I reckon) that my WWII paratrooper dad was while on active service. Anyway, I thought this was a really nice tribute and I thought I'd point out how interesting it is to read about good people, even if it's in their obituaries and memorials. Condolences to his family.