Friday, May 23, 2008

Food talk: Cake

Growing up in a poor household we baked our own cakes for special occasions. So I liked to bake and actually became better at baking desserts than cooking main meals at first, though that later reversed. I wanted to share a memory that a lot of Americans of a certain age will relate to. When I was a kid that was when "Sara Lee" first came out with frozen cakes and pies. We could not believe how wonderful they tasted and what a treat they were. However, they were "expensive" relative to our budget, so I doubt I had Sara Lee desserts more than a handful of times in my entire young and young adulthood! Now we all can take them for granted, and today if I feel the urge I tend to buy from the grocery store bakery. The price of food is a common topic and concern so I thought I'd share the Sara Lee story. Maybe I'll buy a Sara Lee on my charge card LOL.