Monday, December 1, 2008

marymajor's Advent Calendar: December 1

[As a child I eagerly looked forward to receiving and using my Advent Calendar, and to this day, I enjoy them, and have one set up on one of my tables. An Advent Calendar is a paper calendar that covers the days December 1 through December 24, as a count down day by day to Christmas Day, the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus Christ. The calendar is usually a picture of a religious or festive scene, and there is a window numbered for each day. On that day (or the night before as I like to do) one opens the window and sees the special picture for that day. They are a strong German tradition and give great delight.

I got the idea, therefore, to have a daily Advent window open here on the blog. Each “window” will be a passage that I copy from Ignatius Press’ “The Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers.” I will select ones that I think are in the spirit of the anticipation of the most joyous Nativity of Jesus Christ, even if the sermons are not specifically about the day’s liturgical readings or the subject of the Nativity. ] Here is the first one.




December 1.


And with what joy shall we be filled, if we are directed to the right hand of the King? What must we be like when the Just embrace us there? When, I repeat, they shall embrace thee there, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Noah, Job, Daniel, the Holy Prophets, the Apostles, the Martyrs, who all were pleasing to God in the days of the flesh?

And whomsoever you have heard of, and whose life you admired, and whom you now wish to look upon, they will come to thee, and embrace thee, rejoicing in thy salvation.

What manner of men must we then be? Of what kind shall be that unspeakable delight which we are to receive, when the king shall with joyfulness say to those who will be on His right hand: Come ye blessed of my father, possess the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world (Matthew 13:35).

- St. Ephraem, Confessor and Doctor