Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bible Reading: 1 Chronicles 17:16-20, 25, 27

Then David came in and sat in the Lord's presence, saying: "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you should have brought me as far as I have come?

And yet, even this you now consider too little, O God! For you have made a promise regarding your servant's family reaching into the distant future, and you have looked on me as henceforth the most notable of men, O Lord God.

What more can David say to you? You know your servant. O Lord, for your servant's sake and in keeping with your purpose, you have done this great thing. O Lord, there is no one like you and there is no God but you, just as we have always understood."

"Because you, O my God, have revealed to your servant that you will build him a house, your servant has made bold to pray before you."

"and since you have deigned to bless the house of your servant, so that it will remain forever-since it is you, O Lord, who blessed it, it is blessed forever."

***
This is part of the prayer of thanksgiving that David spoke when he learned from the Lord that the Messiah will be raised up among David's ancestors and that the Lord God "will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me, and I will not withdraw my favor from him as I withdrew it from him who preceded you; but I will maintain him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne shall be firmly established forever" (1 Chronicles 17, 11-14).