Thursday, January 24, 2008

Football dynasty talk

While counting down to the Superbowl many sports commentators are having some fun nostalgia talk about past football greats, both individuals and "dynasties." Here's a list, not complete but representative, of the greats whose careers and plays I've followed and admired.

Jim Brown (yes, I'm "that old" and he was my first football hero)
Y. A. Tittle (he put the Giants on the map for me)
Johnny Unitas (he's still Colts for me)
Bart Starr (Packers were the first team I cheered for)
Roman Gabriel (Poster of him in my freshman dorm room)
Fran Tarkenton (His great QB running)
Terry Bradshaw (I'm a huge fan of his)
Len Dawson (Super Bowl IV)
Jim Plunkett
Dan Marino (first of the generation of QB's younger than me, so I shifted from the group above who I "looked up to" toward "watching how the younger generation is growing up...")
John Elway
Joe Montana