Friday, January 18, 2008

In 2003 someone said I looked like Bjork

In 2003 someone said I looked like Bjork

This was a guy who was used to dating hot models. I didn’t know what Bjork looked like (except a vague memory of her appearing in that weird swan get up at some award show). She’s a singer from Iceland. So this guy sent me a picture of her where she is standing on a bridge. No offense to her but I could tell I was not being complimented. And we don’t even look all that similar. We are both white with dark hair and wide faces. (And I actually haven’t had real dark hair since I turned grey around the age of 30. It runs in my dad’s side of the family; he was entirely grey in his twenties. He was called “Pop” in the army for that reason, as he was older than the other soldiers and had grey hair. I color mine now after leaving grey streaks in my hair from teenage years until thirty). So anyway, Bjork and I really don’t look alike.

I mention this because guys say strange (mean) things to me. The first guy I really had a crush on, in college, told me that my “eyes look like the manhole covers of New York (City)”. I was a country girl so I didn’t know what manhole covers looked like close up, but I kind of realized that it was not a compliment, duh. Some years ago I found out that a remodeled public men’s toilet facility in NYC (I think it’s at JFK airport) has “historic manhole covers of NYC” embedded in the floor of this men’s room. I don’t believe in coincidence, Lord knows. I told lots of people this story over the years, because I’m not thin skinned about my appearance. Unlike Bjork, I reckon, who just punched a photographer in Australia.

My sister in law always mentions my really big nose. That’s cool. I just laugh it off because I’d rather have a big nose that is healthy and works than none at all (sniff, sniff, if you know what I mean). I’ve always thought of it as being a big nose because I can detect even faint traces of sin like a bloodhound ha ha.