Thursday, January 17, 2008

One of my British Airway flying stories

Years ago I was flying from metro New York City area to London Heathrow on a British Airways jet. It was as usual a really nice flight even as I was flying economy at the time. We were flying the usual speed of I guess 400-500 mph, closer to 500 mph as I seem to recall when we encounter a long period of very strong tail winds that were around 200 mph. This made our plane achieve a speed of close to 700 mph according to the pilot! You could really tell the difference. It was not a smooth experience, of course, because that's a very fast speed to be going in bumpy atmosphere. But I had total confidence in the pilots of the plane. I will admit that I spent some time thinking about stress and engineering specifications for the metallurgy of the plane and so forth and hoping that the engineers were as conservative as I tend to be, since that plane was really shaking and jolting. I think we arrived a full hour early at Heathrow due to those incredibly strong and persistent tail winds!