Friday, January 25, 2008

Pit bull rescue rehab organization recommended

Please visit this site and support their work:

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Here's a news article about them:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/25/BA1CUM7M3.DTL

Michael Vick's pit bulls meet the public in Oakland
snip

(01-25) 16:50 PST OAKLAND - Five dogs that were rescued from the most notorious dog-fighting kennel in the country trotted out in Oakland on Friday to meet the public, wag their tails and try to dispel some longstanding human prejudices about canines.

They were, as always, man's best friend, even if man has not always held up his end of the relationship.

***
Pit bull rescue is a subject near and dear to my heart. I tried to adopt a pit bull and he was loving and adorable, but so maimed that he would attack children on sight, so I had to return him to the kennel, as I had no family or resources to fund his rehab. His name was Jack and I really loved him. He was so affectionate to me he'd climb into bed even the first night he was in my house. But he'd spot a child a country block away and want to tear her to pieces.

When I returned him, at the urging of my vet, to the kennel and told them of the problem, the shelter manager threw the adoption papers (literally) into my face, in front of another person, and verbally abused me for returning him. I don't know what caused her bitch attack but I have a pretty good idea and all I can say is that animals are not being helped with that attitude.

So I'm very happy to read about "Bad Rap" organization linked at top of this posting and kudos for the involvement of the Oakland Raiders! I hope more people across the country take on this much needed pit bull rescue and rehab model and do more to help in this terrible crisis. It's not just the fighting, it is the whole culture of abuse toward these animals who are innocent props in thug culture. Real men and women need to step forward and provide role models and stop this nationwide breeding and abuse of pit bulls.