Thursday, July 26, 2007

Baseball Talk: Sandy Koufax

While writing about Dave Concepcion, I started to think about another of my great favorites - Sandy Koufax. I loved that guy! (Why did I think of him while writing about Dave C? Because Sandy attended the University of Cincinnati, so while writing about Dave's career at the Cin Reds, I thought of Sandy's connection there.) What's great about this story is that Sandy Koufax came to his senses and switched from basketball to baseball!! As a little girl I coveted getting a Sandy Koufax card. I didn't get his or anyone else's since we had no money for hobbies or extras... my older brother had the collection (still does) but I wasn't allowed to go through it and "play with his cards ha ha." But his was one of the cards I most wanted ever since the 1959 World Series. He was 23 years old then and had a 5 year old girl fan.
(Oh, and I liked Don Drysdale a LOT too, but that's a story for another post sometime.)