Monday, July 30, 2007

A favorite joke

A favorite Jewish joke

This was told to me in the late 1970's by my secular Jewish ex :-) Just think, thirty years ago I heard this joke and it had much resonance, how about now?


One day a young Jewish man was surprised to receive a St. Christopher medal from a close Christian friend of his. Not wanting to be rude, he accepted it but had no idea what to do with it. So he called his friend Moishe and asked him what to do. Moishe said, "Take it to the rabbi and get a bracha."

So the young man took the St. Christopher medal to an Orthodox rabbi. He showed it to the rabbi and asked him to give it a bracha. The Orthodox rabbi was horrified and told him he certainly would not give the medal a bracha, and to take it and himself right out of there.

The young man then decided to try a Conservative rabbi. The Conservative rabbi was sympathetic, but hesitant to do so, because he did not really know how to apply a bracha in such a case. So rather than make a mistake, he respectfully declined.

So in desperation the young man decided to try a Reform rabbi. He found the Reform rabbi, who had on some tie dyed clothes and beads around his neck. He opened his hand and showed the medal to the rabbi saying, "Could you please give this St. Christopher medal a bracha?"

Upon seeing the medal the rabbi exclaimed:

"Nice St. Christopher medal! What's a bracha?"


ha ha ha, and I can't type this half as funny as this story is told in person.

2 comments:

Joyful Catholic said...

I laughed...but...I'm with the reformed rabbi guy...what's a bracha?

: - )

Hey, thanks for all your kind comments on my blog MMF. Your's is very nice! I was just in Rome at St. Mary Major and I loved it! So very much to see! Kimberly Hahn and I had a nice chat on the front step and across the street eating gelato! What a dear, holy family, the Hahns!

PAX,
susie

MMajor Fan said...

A bracha is a Jewish blessing :-)
I still love that joke. My ex would act out each of the parts, which made it performance art!

You are very welcome. I have such a basic blog as I'm easily frustrated by figuring out myself how to put bells and whistles in, so I focus on the writing and just change colors for nuance ha!

I've not traveled to Rome, though my bro and his wife have been to Italy in general 3 times. How very cool you traveled with the Hahns! Much of my travel's been solo on business, so I can imagine how much nicer it is with great company. Blessings!