Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What's in a Name? One of my favorites.

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk show host, often comments when callers to his show have one of his favorite names. That made me think of how I once told my ex, who is secular Jewish, that one of my favorite names is Mardochai (how it's spelled in my usual Bible, but it is also spelled Mordecai or Mordchai.) He burst out in laughter and just about fell out of the chair. He considered it as glamorous a name as if I had said "Morty" or "Fred." But hey, I'm not talking about anyone named today with that name, I'm talking about that mysterious realm of phonetics, of how certain names and sounds just resonate with people. Mordecai means "courage" in Hebrew and comes from the venerable man in the Book of Esther. I just think that in its fullness it is a really strong and feel good name. I've always liked it, but cannot comment on anyone of modern times and their deeds who may have borne this name!