Thursday, July 19, 2007

My Dad's Birthday

July 19 would have been the 104th birthday of my father, who died back in 1962 of a heart attack. He was an American paratrooper (101st and 82nd) who fought in the last battles of World War II in Europe, and was part of the occupation of Berlin.

One of my favorite memories of him was when we would sit on the front steps to our house. He would take one of his cigarettes and peel off a piece of thin paper. Then he would take off his bifocal glasses and using the bright sun, magnify the light and burn the paper for me. He was of that generation that dropped out of school early (8th grade in his case) in order to work and help out the family. He had a genius IQ yet he never mentioned it and it really didn't matter in his life. He was a humble night watchman and like many vets of WWII was deputized as a deputy sheriff.

One of my least favorite memories is learning that some creeps actually think they are my father reincarnated. News flash: you ain't even his army boots reincarnated.

Anyway, I know he's enjoying his room in the heavenly mansion. Happy memory birthday to him (and to others who might be reading who are celebrating their birthdays today, so long as you don't think you are reincarnated anybody.)