Friday, July 20, 2007

Bible Reading: Book of Lamentations

Lamentations 3:49-64

My eyes flow without ceasing, there is no respite, till the Lord from heaven looks down and sees. My eye torment my soul at the sight of all the daughters of my city.

Those who were my enemies without cause hunted me down like a bird; they struck me down alive in the pit, and sealed me in with a stone. The waters flowed over my head, and I said, "I am lost!"

I called upon your name, O Lord, from the bottom of the pit; you heard me call, "Let not your ear be deaf to my cry for help!" You came to my aid when I called to you; you said, 'Have no fear!"

You defended me in mortal danger, you redeemed my life. You see, O Lord, how I am wronged; do me justice! You see all their vindictiveness, all their plots against me.

You hear their insults, Oh Lord, (all their plots against me), the whispered murmurings of my foes, against me all the day; whether they sit or stand, see, I am their taunt song.

Requite them as they deserve, O Lord, according to their deeds; give them hardness of heart, as your curse upon them; pursue them in wrath and destroy them from under your heavens!

***
Written by a prophet in the six century BC who witnessed the destruction of the temple and the fall of Jerusalem. This prophet was persecuted for his efforts against sin and weakness. He calls himself a "taunt song"... how interesting and contemporary.

No comments: