Friday, July 27, 2007

Baseball Talk: Willie Mays

Baseball Talk: Willie Mays

I grew up knowing about Willie Mays while he was still with the "New York" Giants, before they became the "San Francisco" Giants! It shows the strength of the first impressions of a toddler baseball fan, because my mind stubbornly thought "New York Giants" for years after they moved. Anyway, Willie Mays was amazing, and I enjoy looking back on those black and white pictures, him making that over the shoulder catch in the World Series. Funny thing... growing up down the street from a dairy farm, I always thought "The Say Hey Kid" was "The Say Hay Kid" and I wasn't sure but I figured he must have been a farm kid too. Even in my very small town, everyone talked about baseball and Willie Mays in the same breath. When you think about him playing before I was born, my being a toddler fan, growing up, and when I go to college, he's traded to the New York Mets, it is amazing to think how long he played, and how great.