Monday, July 30, 2007

Phil Drabble, Naturalist and Sheep Handler

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/31/ndog131.xml

Phil Drabble, the original presenter of the long-running television show One Man and His Dog, has died aged 93. Drabble presented the BBC2 programme, based around sheepdog trials, from 1976 to until he retired in 1993. At its peak in the early 1980s, the show regularly attracted audiences in excess of eight million. A naturalist and author of several books on wildlife, Drabble continued writing well into his 80s.


But his career as a wildlife expert, writer and broadcaster did not begin until middle age. Before that he was a factory worker in the Black Country, rising up the ranks to management level.


***

I loved that show! I only caught glimpses of it during its peak in the 1980's when I would regularly travel to London, but I followed its success with great fondness. Well, bless him on his journey to The Shepherd.

As an aside, my best friend from childhood had a pet Sheltie. Like many of those dogs she had an atitude, resulting in even the family avoiding looking her in the eyes because she'd growl. While we were all told to kowtow to her, I admit I let her know the pecking order by locking gazes with her on a regular basis. Ha ha, and when she growled I'd up the ante by narrowing my eyes at her. My friend's family would beg me to stop *laugh*, so I would, but only after making my point :-) I'll be darn but that dog even made it into a pop song not too long ago, no lie. Apparently someone knew someone who knew someone. That happens more than people realize!

No comments: