Monday, July 30, 2007

Solitaire Game

Micki asked about the solitaire game that I just learned and totally love playing. It's from the book "101 Card Games for One" by Brenda Ralph Lewis, 2007 by "Amber Books." The game's called Scorpion and is one page 103. It's a tableau of 7 rows of 7 cards, with the remaining 3 cards kept in reserve for play after all possible moves used up. The top 3 rows have cards 1-4 face down, and 5-7 face up. All the other 4 rows have all cards face up. The objective is to build for each suit descending king to ace sequences within the tableau. You start at the bottom and move the next lowest card in suit, if it's available in the tableau, onto the card in the bottom row that you are playing. The trick is you have to take all the cards in the tableau column that is physically in place below your target card along with you. So you end up building these long tails that give it the Scorpion name ha ha.

There's an online version of the game with rules and you can see the tableau here:
http://www.solitairenetwork.com/solitaire/scorpion-solitaire-card-game.html

I love playing solitaire. I learned from my dad, as he often started the day over breakfast with a few hands of solitaire, and when I was a toddler I'd wear my set of Mickey Mouse ears and sit on his lap and watch him play cards (and eat my breakfast off of his plate!) I find it relaxing and also enjoy collecting playing card decks, sometimes with childish likes, such as Scooby Doo decks. *wink* I have a friend, like I said in my post, who I virtually play with, by alternating game wins between him and me. He's leading in our third round 2-0 by the way :-) I take special care not to miss any moves when I'm playing the game that's assigned to his score column ha ha. I have a picture of him on the table where I play cards and he's always smiling, even when I get in front of him on the score :-)

No comments: